Saturday, October 8, 2011

Fairy-tale Nightmares

I have finished Lux from the anthology Here Be Monsters.  Lux is quite the accomplished killer.  She is the Doctor's daughter, and he made her what she is.  Without giving away too much of the plot, I will say this--if this ever becomes a full-length novel, I'll be the first in line to purchase it.  If it were a movie, I'd be the first in line for  a ticket.

Lux kills monsters.  Most of these monsters are, of course, lab-created, and were either set free, or "escaped" (i. e. were set free and given the impression they were escaping, but the escape is illusory).  The worst monster of all  is, of course, strapped to his own hideous device, while Lux really does escape, hops onto a plane bound for Paris, and begins studying the idea of scaling the Cathedral de Notre Dame.  She bests them all, like the most skilled of killers, and Lux is my little anti-hero.  I highly recommend this short story!

No comments:

Post a Comment