Friday, May 20, 2011

Interesting News Report

This evening, while watching the Nightly News on my local NBC station, I was fortunate enough to catch this broadcast in their "Making a Difference" campaign.  I later went out and did a basic Google search for the Kibera School for Girls, where I found this.

So what does this have to do with D/s?  Well, probably not much.  What does it have to do with Women, and female empowerment?  EVERYTHING.  This school was started by a man and a woman.  Kibera is a slum area in Nairobi, Kenya, that is densely populated and extremely poor, with a high rate of infant and childhood mortality, and a high HIV rate.  Kibera School for Girls is the genius brainchild of Kenneth Odede, who is himself a native of this region.  Yes, you read that correctly, a school for girls, which was founded by a man.  He didn't go it alone, though.  He had help through his friend, Jessica Possner.

Many people who read, comment, occasionally follow, or are simply interested in gender and especially women's issues have gotten to know that I sometimes become quite vitriolic and acerbic when it comes to discussions of gender and what "they" feel or think being a woman is all about.  To these readers (and you bloody well know who you are, I'm not about to lower myself to calling out by name) I hope you will click the links above, read the articles, and possibly even donate to this wonderful school and help these future women.

No comments:

Post a Comment