Sunday, August 7, 2011

Vampires in Devil Town, D/s, and Another Fiction Review

Since I couldn't get into White Power and I can't stay awake through The Communist Manifesto yet, I decided to divert myself with one of my favorite genres of fiction--horror.  I downloaded Vampires in Devil Town as a freebie from Amazon, but only started reading it the other day.  Now that school is getting ready to start back up, I can't get into anything too terribly interesting, plot-wise, as I no longer have the luxury of staying up until the wee morning hours reading.  In fact, I should have STOPPED engaging in this sort of activity back around July 16 or 17, right before I went back to work, but oh well, hind-sight is always 20/20 and all that.

Anyway--this has, thus far, become a riveting little horror read, and yes, there are even some elements of forced D/s.  Case in point--when the main character, Rachel, is kidnapped and thrown into the back of a van by Bones and Rain, Bones makes many references to dominance, smacking her around, and calling her a "little bitch" to "show her her place".  Why is this forced?  No consent on poor Rachel's end.  In fact, Rachel and Rain conspire to get away from Bones, which they do in a shockingly quick manner.  I'm also about to begin the chapter in which Rain will tell Rachel about "the last time" Bones did something to a victim of him, as well as find out why Bones likes to cut women's nipples off, keep them for a while until they start to rot and stink, and maybe even why he wants to "play" with his victims.  Is Bones truly Dominant?  I think not.  He's too lazy to chase them through the woods, and he relies too much on violence and not enough on actually protecting Rain or anyone else other than himself.  This is another vanilla example of what Those People think D/s and BDSM really is.  Pissed off about this?  Yup.  Good and angry about it?  Not quite.

Now if you'll excuse me, I've a bit more reading to do.  ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment